Home > Kuwait > Deadline for visa transfer from Article 20 to 18 extended in Kuwait

Deadline for visa transfer from Article 20 to 18 extended in Kuwait

October 14th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

KUWAIT CITY:  The Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor has extended the deadline for domestic workers to transfer their visa to Article 18 provided it is under the same sponsor or first-degree relatives of the current sponsor, until Jan 15, 2010, reports Al-Shahid daily quoting sources.

Clarifying the ministry had earlier set an Oct 15 deadline, sources said the ministry extended the deadline in line with its commitment to ease procedures for expatriates and improve their work condition. In another development, Al-Watan Arabic daily reported that the labor departments in the six governorates have started issuing work permits to correct the status of about 18,000 expatriate workers whose names have been deleted from the system.

Sources confirmed the departments have also started implementing a decision allowing expatriate workers, who were hired from abroad on Article 18 visa, to transfer to another sponsor without obtaining approval from the current sponsor as long as they spent three years with the latter.  However, some departments have suspended the processing of such applications as the concerned workers have not settled disputes with their current sponsors or a decision has been issued for their repatriation.  Sources said the suspension is aimed at giving the concerned authorities enough time to address these issues.

Moreover, sources disclosed the Labor Sector is studying a number of important decisions, which will be referred to Minister Dr Mohammad Al-Afasi soon, reports Al-Qabas daily. After extensive meetings with the Government Manpower Restructuring Program (GMRP) and Civil Service Commission (CSC), sources said the ministry decided to exempt companies, wholly owned by the government, from the national worker percentage rule, on condition that the Cabinet will not issue new decisions in this regard later.

In a memo forwarded to the Cabinet recently, the ministry stated these companies are also exempted from regulations on the transfer of salaries and allowances to the bank accounts of employees.  Sources added the ministry will soon issue several decisions in the interest of the expatriate workers to pave the way for developing the local labor sector in accordance with the directives of Al-Afasi.

  1. FATMA
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:31 | #1


  2. November 24th, 2009 at 13:31 | #2

    Hello Fatma,

    I dont think that it is possible but please post your query on the Q8NRI forum. This will help you in getting the correct answer.

  3. Raj
    December 28th, 2009 at 10:58 | #3

    I am on a project Visa 18, completed 4 years 7 months with current sponsor plus holding a bachelor degree. I received a good offer please advise for if at all possible for me to get a release thanks!

  4. December 28th, 2009 at 11:48 | #4

    Hello Raj, please post the same query in our forums.

  5. March 8th, 2010 at 09:42 | #5

    plss what i weel do to get viza 18 my viza is 20 plss

  6. March 22nd, 2010 at 16:19 | #6

    Hello guys, please post the same query in our forums and our visa experts will help you.

    March 22nd, 2010 at 22:04 | #7

    this is for my brother he is holder of article 20, but he is talented in eletronics field,he is experienced in mobile phone servicing tv reparing vcd n dvd repairing etc he wants to change visa 20 to visa 18, can u advise me

  8. Ricar
    March 23rd, 2010 at 23:42 | #8

    @shaheer – there are two ways for changing an art.20 visa to 18 : He can transfer his visa from 20 to 18 under his current sponsor if the sponsor also owns a legit business. Let’s say it can transferred from a domestic driver (20) to a company driver (18) under the same sponsor. If he wants to change his sponsor then he must find some company who is willing to give him a job and his current sponsor must also relieve him to leave the country and re-enter under the new 18 visa.

  9. March 29th, 2010 at 11:29 | #9

    hi im dataram i want to change 20 to 18 visa when open?

  10. March 31st, 2010 at 16:29 | #10


    ihave been working in Kuwait under private co. for 2 years .i went my country and i came buck by dependent visa through my husband so my Quest. is i want transfer my Art 22 visa to work visa i have attested Degree i can do that???????
    Highly appreciated the kind response

  11. sharafudheen
    November 3rd, 2010 at 14:37 | #11

    i am now20visa,i need 18 visa what is the transfer rule. plaese inform me


  12. January 13th, 2011 at 18:19 | #12

    my name is pradeep i am working in kuwait city my visa is 20 i want change my visa 18. can possible & when start chenging visa proses.

  13. maria
    July 5th, 2011 at 18:07 | #13

    @Q8NRI hello me also i need help my cisa s 20 i want to change 18 like same i said if my imployer not give rilies wht i will do

  14. rahul
    July 7th, 2011 at 11:27 | #14

    i am woking in a private sector as a engineer.I have been joint the company before 2 months only. If i get good position better than present one, how can i change the visa to new company without cancel the visa?

  15. Renjith
    December 14th, 2011 at 20:43 | #15


    is it possible to transfer 18 project visa 1 year compleated. Iam not a graduate.

  16. joy
    November 7th, 2012 at 07:30 | #16

    hi, i’m holding an entry visa, and my sponsor is still processing my visa 20, how long will be the processing?

  17. March 3rd, 2013 at 16:57 | #17

    hey my name is mangeet sharma.I am new here in kuwait on visa article 20.I want to chage the same visa into 18.I want to know is it possible????? if yes then what is the procedure to change the same.Also suggest me the compaines or firms who the change the same inspite of money.Also i want to know the charges and other expenses in the transfer of visa..I also want want to know what is the exact time to change it.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Switch to our mobile site