Q8NRI FORUM

Q8NRI FORUM

A harmonious community for Indians in Kuwait. Get a scoop of daily events, seek help on visa rules, driving licenses and other issues. An Exclusive Ladies Lounge. Say hello in the Chit Chat Corner. Search for jobs and Buy or sell in the Bazaar.

It is currently April 24th, 2014, 9:46 pm

All times are UTC + 3 hours

Post subject: Using Kuwait Driving License in Dubai
PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 9:52 am 

I was given to understand that I can drive in any GCC country with the Kuwait driving license? Is this true?
I am going to Dubai next week and would like to rent a car there.

Post subject: Re: Using Kuwait Driving License in Dubai
PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 10:15 am 

Cajie.. hope this helps:

As per the MOI Kuwait website:

It is allowed for GCC citizens to drive using their GCC driving licensee which was issued from their countries as far as it is still valid. Incase it is expired the traffic department may renew their licensee with a Kuwaiti Licensee.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, it says GCC Citizen, so further clarification is required.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Requirements to Rent A Car

Most car rental companies require that the driver be over the age of 21 and has driven for over a year. They also require that the driver's license be a valid UAE, GCC, or International drivers' license. Some companies also charge additional fees for driver's who are under the age of 25. As stated above, most rent a car companies are shifting to the credit card deposit security system, which means that they require a credit card for you to rent a car. Most companies will also require that you submit the following documents - passport photocopy and driver’s license photocopy.

http://www.theemiratesnetwork.com/uae/rent_a_car.htm

_______________________________________________________________________-

Alternatively, you could confirm with Kuwait International Automobile Club. They do issue international driving licences as well.

Shuwaikh opposite Safat Al-Ghanim
24832388 / 24832192

Hope this helps.
Enjoy your trip.

www.LordRaj.com

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 11:19 am 

I can always get an international driving license (I did that when travelling to Canada - but it has expired since then).
Anyway, I will email the car rental company to get the exact answer.
I've read on some forums that the GCC license is valid as long as your are visiting.
Also, I recently drove from Kuwait to KSA and back (of course, no one stopped to check my license).

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 11:42 am 

Cajie,

Yes, you can confirm with the car rental OR the kuwait int'l automobile club. Would help sort out the confusion.

drove kuwait to ksa - in that case, you would have had a KT sticker, right?

I know for sure it's valid as long as you are driving a car with a Kuwaiti License plate.
Renting.. my only confusion is - is it for only GCC 'Citizens' with valid license or just a valid GCC license (applicable to residents) would be enough.

www.LordRaj.com

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

Hey Cajie.....

Longtime no see no read. Hope everyzings OK with you.

Officially you are not allowed to drive with Q80 license...bcoz u arent a GCC citizen. But u can drive, with an International License, which can be easily available from the KT Club.

I had taken one, during my trip to Dubai, the first time.....but it was jus a waste of time n money. No one bothered to check nor did I hav any un-toward incidents. For the next few trips, I simply made my bro in law, rent a car, in his name....n I was happily driving it....everywhere. Drove it all the way to Abu Dhabi.....to Fujairah...RAK and even to Hatta. There was no police checking or anything.

But its betta tat u hav one....jus in case...to avoid any hassles.

Bon voyage and enjoy ur trip.

Btw....if you get a chance to meet 'Pournima'....say 'HI' to her. ;)

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 1:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jonyboy wrote:

And who is this 'Pournima'? If you could give me her details, whenever I go next to Dubai, I can say Hi, Hello, Ahlan wa sahlan, Bonjour, Hola, Ciao, nay ho, shalom, नमस्ते, Kumusta ka, sat sri akal etc etc

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 3:37 pm 

Jonyboy wrote:
Hey Cajie.....

Longtime no see no read. Hope everyzings OK with you.

Officially you are not allowed to drive with Q80 license...bcoz u arent a GCC citizen. But u can drive, with an International License, which can be easily available from the KT Club.

I had taken one, during my trip to Dubai, the first time.....but it was jus a waste of time n money. No one bothered to check nor did I hav any un-toward incidents. For the next few trips, I simply made my bro in law, rent a car, in his name....n I was happily driving it....everywhere. Drove it all the way to Abu Dhabi.....to Fujairah...RAK and even to Hatta. There was no police checking or anything.

But its betta tat u hav one....jus in case...to avoid any hassles.

Bon voyage and enjoy ur trip.

Thanks Jonyboy.
That was very helpful. I will just take the international driving license from KT club.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 11:13 pm 
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Dear,

Apart from JB's suggestion, just adding and repeating some words.....
Nobody checks this in Dubai but in case god forbids any untowards incident then there is an issue.
If you are going for rental car then Kwt license is very much valid. The rental car guy may chg few bucks to endorse ur license and then you are safe.
Even if you are driving any frnd's or relatives vehicle then also DXB ppl are very lenient with visitors, it may be to your surprise that Kwt ppl are also lenient if a visitor is driving a frn'ds or co's car with valid license of any other GCC country.

Have a nice trip....

PostPosted: November 21st, 2009, 9:35 pm 

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and ideas.
I plan to take lots of pics in Dubai (hence the idea to rent a car). I will be sure to post the pictures once I return back.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 10:22 pm 

Well, here's a recap regarding the Kuwait driving license.
- If you have the new driving license (which mentions GCC instead of just Kuwait), you are fine.
- If you license is the older one (like mine) which only mentions "STATE OF KUWAIT", it is preferable to have the International driving license issued by the KT club. They would still rent you without the international license but it is recommended to have one - just in case.
- Driving is a nightmare in Dubai during weekdays. Traffic jams everywhere and the drivers (especially the big buses) have no patience.
- If you are using a GPS, make sure the latest maps are loaded. I used a GPS with maps that are around 2 years old and the darn roads mentioned on the GPS no longer exist - so it kept directing us in circles.